As one enters Morbi swaying pylons of the suspension bridge and the beatific riverfront is a nostalgic reminder of Victorian London. Located 64 km from Rajkot is the town of Morbi with its quaint cobbled alleyways and buildings reminiscent of 19th century Europe. Morbi’s former ruler Sir Waghji inspired by Colonial influences designed a technologically planned and versatile city. The visitor is welcomed into the city through a grand suspension bridge, an artistic and technological marvel of that period. European influence in town planning further contributed to a central square known as the Green Chowk, approachable by three gates each designed in its own inimitable style incorporating both Rajput and Italian elements.
The original residence of the royalty the Darbargarh overlooking the river can be approached through an imposing gate with a magnificently carved façade. This structure has now been converted into a heritage hotel. Other noteworthy attractions are the Mani Mandir, a multi-religious Hindu shrine, the Wellington Secretariat with its marked Rajasthani influence and the Art Deco Palace constructed in 1931 with a magnificently varied interior.
This tinkering interest in technology has led to a mushrooming of clockmakers in a bevy of design variations and the sands of the River Machchhu are highly conducive to the fashioning of ceramic tiles in various sizes, color and hue.